World War Zulf. That’s what happened after I watched the movie that makes up the title of this post. I was angry.
Having read, and being a hug fan of, the book by Monsieur Brooks I was stunned to watch through a big screen version of it that bore little relation to its pages of narrative. Forget the ‘fast’ zombies for a minute, I suppose I could live with that concept (not happy mind, just can deal with it).
You see, the book reads like a diary or a journal. It is made up of a collection of post ‘World War Z’ stories from very different individuals around the world who have survived. I read the book a while ago so I might miss some points, but here-in is a list of my biggest problem with the movie adaptation:
- No mention of the morale sapping defeat at Yonkers, then the subsequent stand-off to offense from the west coast
- No real mention of patient zero and how it all started
- Not even a credit to General Raj Singh (most disappointing)
- Not a utterance of the South African ‘Redeker’plan or its horrific designs
- No mention of the nuclear war between Iran & Pakistan
- No mention of the false rabies vaccine
- The survival concept of many of the characters, one whose own voice helps her and another is a blind Japanese swordsman
- …and where’s the Lobo???!!!
What was completely wrong in the movie is thus
- Fast zombies – what the heck? Only in 28 days later…
- South Korea? Why? did they mistake it for South Africa?
- Israel over-run so easily, don’t think so
- Zombies on the plane, *yawn* so boring
- The WHO in bloomin Cardiff? Who’d have thought?!
- Errr….and the solution, inject yourself with a deadly virus or bacteria – and the Zeds ignore you? wth? Never saw that coming
The movie was largely pathetic, someone needs to re-make it. It would have to be an epic 3-parter much like LOTR.
- Part 1 – Origin story, initial spread, The Great Panic, World War Z starts
- Part 2 – Morale sapping defeats, surviving humans consolidate, Redeker & the Gen. Raj Singh Sq kicks in
- Part 3 – USofA goes on the offensive, Radio Free World, the clean-up starts, humans rebuild starting in Cuba
That would be ace, but it won’t happen. At least there is no way (I hope) that they can make a sequel to this aforementioned drivel!